Tuesday, May 29, 2007

anguish moment

there are no real answers
and that is why
I do not have the question

asking why
is simply the wrong question
because I cannot reverse the outcome

to overcome a saturating sadness
I must first face it
feel it
and find a unity deep within

the anguish of another
often awakens our own anguish

am I prepared to sacrifice the prize
for unity

I was frightened because I was naked and I hid
Gen 3:9-10

all of us know the place of fear within us and we are frightened
because we are so vulnerable
vulnerable to pain
vulnerable to failure
to rejection
to death

Adam was naked - Adam was vulnerable
Adam did not know what to do and so he hid

this is our ongoing history

we hide behind walls
behind gossip
behind groups
behind culture
behind religion

only when we have a real sense
a deep understanding
of who the human person is
of the sacred reality of each person
a deep awareness of the beauty of each one
a belief that each one carries the mystery of God
in a capacity to be
to love
and be loved
can we escape our fear

we need to come together
to listen to one another's story
it is in the listening where it all begins
the belief that another is important

we need to grow a listening heart
to live in a sacred space of listening

there is a time to be silent
and a time to talk
but the talk
must always come from a place of silence

peace to you
peace to me
peace

No comments: