Friday, November 28, 2008

salt moments

We moved this past summer, away from the hum of traffic, next to the peace of the woods. Now that winter has arrived, our horizon has changed from bricks and mortar to snow laden trees, colourful birds, quiet foxes and the odd hesitant deer. In order to entice the deer to come around more often my husband bought a salt block and placed it on the small patio across the stream amongst the trees. I was looking at it the other day and noted that the snow had melted in a perfect circle all around this block of salt. I also noted its label which stated that it was pure, no additives, no contaminants, nothing that would harm the environment. It simply rests where it has been placed, quietly offering a pleasant taste, its natural ingredients exuding warmth into the cold snow............

And I thought that is how I must be...........
content to be where I am placed
offering a pleasant taste to anyone who is hungry or thirsty,
providing a natural warmth that would penetrate coldness,
clearly labelled by my life so that all could see: pure, no contaminants, nothing artificial, safe...........

no bells or whistles, no lights or drum rolls, no platform .........just quietly and naturally altering the environment around me......

salty..........

in this dry and thirsty land

No comments: