Saturday, February 17, 2007

Elijah/Lazarus moment

last evening was spent with fellow sojourners
friends
family

there was much peace
and an ease in rest
a comfortable stillness
although there was one in much physical pain
and more than one
in much spiritual pain

there was a sweet fragrance
in acknowledging the angst of this season

we worshiped
shared communion
celebrated a life

each one shared a bit
about the words that have been filling ears
and penetrating hearts

it was late
the separation of one day
from another
when I returned home

and then I awoke in the night
thinking again about Elijah
the cave
and what made him run to it

suddenly struck
by the similarities
with Lazarus

who died
was buried in a tomb
which actually was a cave
carved out of rock

until this man Jesus
who was his friend
came to his cave
and called him forth

speaking life
into death

and so with Elijah
hidden in his cave
God
who was his friend
came
and called him forth

speaking life
into death

caves are sort of like wombs
a womb can hold death
and become a tomb
until Jesus speaks
into that which was dead
and this tomb
again becomes a womb
birthing life

and everywhere
I am feeling the gentle breeze
and hearing
what are you doing there
come forth

it is time to relinquish
my cave of fear
into the pierced hands
of the One
who calls
for when He speaks
life is the result

2 comments:

myrrha said...

As i celebrate the life and ache with the suffering of the effects of chemo on our baby, I know again that He who has shared a tomb, a cave, has spoken LIFE where we see death... and I have hope.
And I know He holds this wee one
And He holds me
And you...

Andrea said...

Mary - I cannot even pretend to imagine ........
thanks for sharing these moments of your life thus allowing me to carry them with you
shalom