Friday, February 23, 2007

majestic moment
















I spent a few days this week
at the edge of a lake
a frozen lake
in the middle of a frozen land
a gentle giant of a man
who lives in the area
asked if I had heard the song of the ice
listening for songs and sounds
has been a constant for me
over the past twelve years
and so I asked this gentleman
about hearing this sound
following his suggestion
around 4am
I went out on this frozen lake
walking slowly
listening
and I was simply stunned
by the beauty of the night
even the ice crystals in the air
seemed to be hovering in anticipation
and then I heard it
a soft moan
moving to its own rhythm
punctuated by gentle whistling
and a swishing heaving
coming from the womb of somewhere
I lay flat on my back
on this frozen lake
so that I could feel the sound
this song of the ice
so that I could be one with it
it was a majestic moment
back at the edge of water and land
I turned
just to look
once more
fingers of light
were stretching into the darkness
pulling night below the horizon
and I am forever changed
having heard
the song of the ice

No comments: