Thursday, February 01, 2007

staining moment

confession time:

I am seriously addicted to coffee
especially my first cup of the morning
for some reason
my mouth just will not work
{some would probably say this is a huge blessing :)}
until caffeine has passed my lips
and travelled down my throat

so
unexpectedly called to an early morning meeting
I was rushing a bit

coffee cup in hand
filled to the brim with a fresh brew
readying to brush my teeth
I set the cup on the edge of the sink

within moments
the cup slid off the edge
crashed into the sink
broke
spilling its contents
and splashing everything in sight

big brown stains
on everything within reach

and what I saw
was that we can be functioning as we are designed (gifted) to function
doing what is requested of us

but

if we are not positioned properly
where we are placed

we can slip
break
and perhaps stain those around us

the cup was doing everything it was made and designed to do
it was functioning perfectly

the mistake was mine

because I was in a hurry
I did not look carefully
and positioned it on the edge
of where it should be placed

it is mandatory
that we be positioned carefully
in our placement

2 comments:

myrrha said...

Andrea... if I can add the continuance of this thought...

Describing our positioning.

As leaders; we who would set others in the place of being used; need to heed how we have postioned these 'under' us, and take care to see that we are not carelessly placing then in a way that would cause a fall.

Andrea said...

thanks Mary for your insight -
as I am not a leader, I appreciate your perspective .......
being poured out while serving is a tender privilege