Sunday, August 05, 2007

pot luck moments

yesterday
there was a potluck at the lake


because I am home now for a few days
I considered whether or not
the four hour round trip drive
was worth it


but
felt this pulling to go


this is our fourth summer on the lake
and although we have made valued friendships
with some neighbours
we had yet to meet those on the other side of the lake


and so
pot in hand
we decided to attend


the weather was perfect
the hosts were wonderful
the fellowship was rich


there are about 80 cottages on the lake
and my best guess is
40 or so families were scattered on the lawn


there was an abundance of food
a huuuuuuuuge pot of coffee
tubs of beer, wine and pop


in the middle of the groaning table
was a chocolate fountain
surrounded by fresh fruit for dipping


met some absolutely fascinating people


there was one gentle man
who looked like grizzly adams
a massive barrel chest
plenty of hair on his cheeks, chin and in a pony tail
hands like baseball gloves
there was a moment
when beer in one hand
dripping garlic buttered skewered shrimp in the other
tears in his eyes
he simply asked
have you seen the herons dance


another lady
recently widowed
in her early 80's
came over
laid her head on my shoulder
and at that moment said
thank you for praying for me last week
I called my daughter
she is coming to see me tomorrow
and bringing my grandchildren
whom I have not seen for five years


another man overheard me talking about the kayak
and said
have you kayaked during dawn
and at that moment
we agreed to experience the beginning and the ending
together in the middle of the lake
(he too wishes for a coffee cup holder in his kayak)

and in another moment
two more kayakers agreed to join us


another couple drive every Friday night from New Jersey
to spend the weekend on the lake
they spent 3 years building their cottage
on a piece of land
the highest point of the shoreline
in a moment
we agreed to have dinner together in 2 weeks


another woman said she had heard I was on the lake
but did not know how to find me
and suddenly
in a moment
we were sharing dessert
and agreed to spend Tuesday mornings together

there was another young couple
sitting by themselves
under a tree
and in a moment
I recognized the weight on their shoulders
introduced myself
and quickly learned
he was a pastor
recently bitten by the sheep of his pasture

there were some off the wall moments too

accepting the challenge
to jump off the railing of the high deck
and somersault into the lake

and joining the kids on the trampoline
up and down
up and down
over and under

when saying good by and thanking our hosts
they mentioned hearing the singing from our dock
a week ago
asked if they could join us next time
and if he could bring his guitar

in a moment
it was evident
that the aroma of worship had crossed the lake
and touched hearts on the other side

so
all in all
I am very grateful
for the moment
we decided to go
pot in hand

No comments: