Tuesday, October 03, 2006

off/on moment

confession time!
I am severely challenged when it comes to anything remotely techy - even the word remote gives me the shudders ........
one morning last week I unplugged my cell and was surprised not to hear its perky chirp - taking a quick glance I noted the absence of any light or any time display - even when I flipped open the cover there were no signs of life - several pokes at random keys failed to wake the thing up - even a not so gentle shake did not have any effect ........
I was about to hit the highway for an out of town gathering and being a bit cautious now with only one working eye I wished the security of a phone, "just in case" ... so before hitting the road I detoured into the store where I had purchased the phone last April to ask for help. There was a very nice young tattooed and eyebrow pierced boy/man behind the counter - I explained my predicament and handed him the phone. OF COURSE, he simply pushed a key and I immediately heard the familiar perky chirp. When I asked how he did that, he restrained himself hugely, after all he was dealing with a little old lady, and told me he simply turned the phone on.
I didn't even know it had an off button (I know - April !- extend me grace here) - who turned it off????????
this boy, who is another mother's son, explained that it turns itself off when the battery is low, to prevent total depletion - and I recalled the very very long call I had had the day before ...........
I am sure I made this boy's day and that he probably spent the evening in the bar regaling his friends ....
but
all this then soon afterwards played out in my life in a different fashion

there were a few extremely busy days, days of pouring out, one right after the other, after which I neared my total depletion point and my lights went out - I was definitely drained and absolutely not perky - I could not find, let alone push, my on button ...........
and some friends came 'round
and we worshiped
and we prayed
and we laughed
and we touched
and their care and their love charged up my battery
and their presence lit up and pressed my on button

sometimes, probably most times, it takes the community around us to help us find the right switch ...........

No comments: