Sunday, April 01, 2007

just another moment

in reality
all that has happened
is that twenty-four hours have passed
one more sunset
one more sunrise
and all the moments in between

and yet
it is being called a milestone

and people are asking
if I am feeling any different

not sure how to answer
or what everyone is expecting

am I now to be adult
mature (I somehow hope not)
wise

a senior
wow - what does that mean
other than the fact I forget everything
all the time

but then
I have always been like that

how I am supposed to feel
what is the difference I should be feeling

all the questions
and today
like yesterday
I have no answers

I suspect tomorrow
I still will have no answers

I am grateful for the gift of the past twenty-four hours
for the gift of the sunrise of today
and the geese flying overhead
for the gift of breath
and life
for the gift of friends who surprised me
for the balloons
for the flowers
for the phone calls
and the hugs

for the loving surprise of my son
and my daughter

for the giggly laughter of my grandsons

for the songs sung last night
and this morning

for the stunning face to face last evening

and so
today
is today

and I am reminded again
that it is not the number of our breaths that count
but the moments that take our breath away

and there have been many
in the last twenty-four hours

and I guess I am just wise enough
to treasure each moment
and hold them lightly

should I ever figure out
what the difference is that I am to feel
I'll let you know

if I remember

1 comment:

George Atento said...

just another comment.

beautiful understanding of simple moments become poetic to a poet's mind. congratulations.