Tuesday, July 31, 2007

dawn moments




even as a young child growing up at the water's edge
there was a yearning to be fully present during the dawn moments
and I would slip out of bed to sit at the end of the dock
in the silence during the ending of night
and the beginning of day

now some decades later
that yearning has only intensified
and I still slip out of bed to sit in silence at the end of the dock
to be fully present during the ending
and the beginning
mostly alone
coffee in hand

it remains a deep privilege
there is a sense of holiness in the hush
as the land yawns itself awake
and the mirror calm of the water ripples in its stretch
to my ears this all takes place in deep silence
but I cannot help but wonder if the silence is only in my ears
does this all take place really with a shout and joyous laughter
dancing excitement
is there an explosion of sound as light bursts the fabric of darkness

a friend recently asked why I thought Moses was told to remove his sandals
was it so that not even a thin slip of leather would separate him
from the holy Presence on the land

and as I have been pondering that
sitting on the end of the dock seemed too far removed
from the ending
and the beginning
this morning
in the fog
I slipped into the kayak to sit in the middle of the lake
to feel its awakening stretch
perhaps tomorrow I might enter into the water itself
to remove the separation of the thin slip of the kayak's skin

No comments: