Saturday, February 25, 2006

risk moments

while at the camp this past week
it was agreed
we all would spend a significant portion
of one day in silence
each had the choice
of being alone
or with someone else
the camp is on the edge of a lake
and during the early morning session
I confess
its peaceful white expanse
kept capturing my thoughts
so I quickly booted and scarfed up
and took off to figure out how to get out there
I found the edge easily enough
but just as I placed one foot onto its iced surface
I remembered the warning
given by a friend back home
don't go out on the lake
it might not be frozen enough
I hesitated
but then pushed on
motored by the realization
that most people
come to the very edge of their dreams
and quit
I looked at the other side
focused on a majestic evergreen
and started walking
after crossing over
I looked back
amazed by the straight line of my footprints
it is so true
when stepping out into uncharted territory
if you remain focused
your path will be straight
and so in seeking this path
where there is no trail
my eyes must remain fixed
on the signpost of His face on my horizon
only this will prevent me from going round in circles
or extending the journey unnecessarily
by wandering footsteps
I was completely happy on the other side
for several hours
but then missed community
it was easy to follow the straight line back
as I got closer
those I had left behind
raised their hands in greeting
and although no words were spoken
it was very very good to be together again
there was also the amazing aroma of coffee in the air
with its fingers reaching out
pulling me in
and we sat
in the snow
at the edge of the lake
shoulder to shoulder
knee to knee
drinking our coffee
in silence
it was very very good to be together again
I had not stopped at the edge
but crossed over
and the voice of community
was loud in the silence
PS:
as I was posting this the doorbell rang
one of my fellow sojourners
dropped in for coffee
which means word of my addiction must be spreading :~)
and while sitting around the kitchen table
I learned
that while I was making my path across the lake
there had been 2
who sat, watched and waited
not wishing to curb my desire to cross the lake
only wishing to ensure my feet remained on solid ground
and I am so very deeply moved and blessed
knowing of their silent loving care

No comments: