Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February moments



I have been thinking of David
walking in the midst of his people
and yet never being recognized as their king
simply because he smelled of sheep
also am recognizing
that simply washing the feet of those around me
breaks every bone in my body
and then I attempted to bring down a pot of ivy
from the shelf
where it had been thriving
so that I could wipe the dust off the leaves
(yes, I clean once a year whether or not the house needs it
but then
I also have been known to make scrambled eggs for dinner)
one stem of the ivy
with huge green healthy leaves
was climbing up the wall
complete with little feet
that had actually attached
and become embedded into the paint
it took some effort to pull them free
so, here was this plant
alive
green
growing
and thriving
but attached to something it shouldn't be
and all this made me think
of why and when and how
we attach ourselves to people
or ministries
or ideas
or hopes
or dreams
and how hard is it to detach
if discovered the attachment is not appropriate
and even when there is evidence of life
and growth
the necessity of checking out
where our feet are planted
what our toes are curled around
and I am so grateful
to be attached to the cross
with the tendrils of my being

I know
kind of weird thoughts
but then
this is the first day
I have been alone for months
and it is February after all
and I have a whole week
to be alone ....

No comments: