Friday, February 03, 2006

touch moments

One of my delights in this season are the days spent
in a very special community made up of
severely challenged adults

these men and women are physically
emotionally
and mentally challenged

these are the ones we used to call handicapped

some have been languishing
since birth
never knowing the love of a parent
the hug of a mom
the “well done” of a dad
the “I love you” of anyone

and it is from these ones
that I learn so much

today was my first afternoon
with a young woman
who had only recently arrived into this community

unable to speak
or see
or walk
or hear
unable to even feed herself

I wondered how I would communicate

and I remembered Jesus
how He sat down, to make Himself lower
how He asked for a drink, revealing His vulnerability

and so I sat at her feet
and gently rested my head against her knees

and we remained quiet together for quite awhile

slowly
ever so gently
her hand touched my shoulder

like the fluttering of a little bird
she would touch and then quickly withdraw

after some time
she stopped withdrawing
and although unable to see
she seemed intrigued by the texture of my sweater

for some strange reason
on this day of all days
I had chosen to wear an angora like sweater
very soft and feathery

I waited a bit and then
moved slightly to
place my hands alongside her face
on her cheeks

and when she did not recoil
I very very tenderly
drew her close
until her face lay against my sweater

she rubbed
she snuggled
she sniffed
and then she wept
agonizingly
from deep within

and I held her until the tears stopped

and although not one word was said
we communicated just fine

once again, it was the touch that spoke
and it spoke loudly

and as I was leaving
the staff told me it was the first time
this silent lady had reacted to anyone or anything in years

touch someone today

2 comments:

Hogie said...

This stirs a yearning within me. Thank you for sharing this.

Andrea said...

and my thanks for your touch today