Saturday, January 21, 2006

communion moment

while immersed in communion last evening

the bread
held in the wine

red
entering every portion of white
soaking
softening

changing
through the process
of being entered

and I thought about my journey
the mountains
the valleys
the deserts
of the last few years

there was a season
of man exerting his will
and the storm of doubt that ensued
knocked me off balance for a bit

when I was hesitant to listen
to hear
to even seek
the Voice
the One

and these words tumbled out from deep inside


Living in a land of deep shadows
At the edge of the huge wingspan of a raging river

I have come to learn
I have come to lean and love

There is noise
But everything is quiet

I touch the seamless garment of silence

Night is leaving

I stand on the shore and watch
Feeling the weight of my life
Begin to drop
And I realize why dawn
Is called mourning

The rocks echo ancient rhythms
Heat slams into my skin

And I remain upright
Solely because the tendrils of my being
Cling to a cross

No comments: