Saturday, April 01, 2006

day thirty-one moment

"he knows your weakness
he wants only your love
wants only the chance to love you"
Mother Theresa

the darkness begins to recede
four soldiers standing apprehensively near the cross

Jesus
in the eye of suffering's terrible storm
finds a place of rest

death is near
a sense of completion settling in his soul

dehydrated
he can only mouth the words

I AM THIRSTY

is it physical thirst
or a thirst on behalf of a lost world.

a soldier offers a sponge soaked in cheap wine
the priests laugh derisively

the celebrations of Passover come to an end
families have broken bread
sacrificed their finest lambs to Yaweh

and on a hill
outside the city gates
the Lamb of God
finally
fully
offers himself
as the ultimate sacrificed

the One who longs to give living water
to all who want to drink

cries

I AM THIRSTY

and I so long to run to him with a cool glass of water
as he did for me when my soul
dwelled in a dry and barren land

and all I can do
is offer a cup in His Name

No comments: