Saturday, April 01, 2006

day twenty-nine moment

"were you there when they crucified my Lord
sometimes it causes me to tremble
tremble
tremble"
traditional spiritual

my heart rests in His presence
as I contemplate the cross
as I wonder at the scope of what it meant for Christ
to drink in all the sin of the world

He has a cup yet to drink
the final dregs of sin's poison yet await

the sky completely black
as if the sun has disintegrated
the people bewildered
stumbling
panicky

does Jesus remember when the earth was formless
and void
and darkness hovered over

does he long to shout "let there be light"
and end this noontime terror

hot and muggy
yet the soldiers shake with a chill

with every second Jesus swallows more sin
disobedient deeds
lustful stares
evil longings
acts of hatred
every sin perpetrated
and yet to be committed
flows like a poison into his very soul
until he reaches the dregs of the cup
the teeming waters of depravity
like a disease infested swamp
and he who has never known sin becomes sin

darkness oozing in and around him
and the light of the world is extinguished for a few hours
on a hill named Calvary
this day when darkness fell upon all the land

and I am very frightened by the thought of such darkness
I cannot comprehend how he was able to drink such a cup
and yet I know that if he had stopped short of even one final drop
I would dwell forever in the hopelessness of a dark night

No comments: