Tuesday, March 07, 2006

day seven moment

"Even so, with the meekest of gestures,
has the war for the world been engaged with a kiss.
And the kiss has a tooth.
And the snake that struck the Lord has a back of fire
and a body of human opinion."
Walter Wangerin

to betray someone is to be false or disloyal

have I been false
disloyal
to God
to another

what is my day to day capacity to betray Christ

Judas
in the dark of the night
at the front of the crowd
furtive
nervous
urged on by ...........
the priests

Jesus reveals Himself
offering the one who would betray
a chance to quietly walk away

instead
he kisses
one cheek
and then the other

is there a particular burn to that kiss

did Jesus kiss Judas back
did He
just for a moment
hold Judas close

Judas could have simply pointed a finger
but he drew near
kissed
and then was pierced by the question

"Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?"

how would it feel to be betrayed with a kiss

and how often have my lips burned that same face
with disloyalty

how many times have I reached for His touch
and yet held my heart at a distance

how I long to say I will never betray You

but
He knows my heart

the road away from His side is a desperate one
even then
He holds me close

who is this man Jesus

No comments: